Apply for On-Campus Job Opportunities

If you're interested in working on campus, you'll find dozens of job opportunities across many different departments that suit a wide array of interests. In order to be eligible to work as a student employee, students must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program on at least a half-time basis (6 credit hours or 1.75 units).

There are two different student employment programs at the University: the University Work Program (UWP) and the Federal Work Study (FWS) program. The primary difference between the two is that FWS is partially supported by federal funds; students receiving these funds qualify through the Office of Financial Aid and are issued an FWS award as part of their aid package. If you have been awarded federal work study funds, you may apply for jobs designated as FWS. Students who are not offered FWS funds may only apply for jobs designated as UWP, but students who have FWS funds may also apply for UWP positions. It is advantageous to earn FWS dollars because the wages that you earn through the FWS program are subtracted from the Adjusted Gross Income amount reported on the FAFSA in future aid years. There are no penalties for not utilizing the full FWS amount offered.

Regardless of which program you are in, students are encouraged to work 20 hours or less per week during the academic year to ensure academic success. International students should read more about international work restrictions. All student employees are exempt from paying FICA taxes (social security and Medicare) during the academic school year (fall and spring semesters only). This means more money (7.65%) in your pocket when compared to working off campus.

Many departments notify the Office of Student Employment of open positions within their office to post on our website. To apply for one of these positions, complete the Student Employment Application and submit as directed in the posting.

Students who are U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents must come to the Office of Financial aid to complete pre-employment paperwork (includes Federal Form I-9) once they have received a job offer. Pre-employment paperwork must be completed before a student is legally permitted to begin working on campus for the first time. This paperwork is only required once for all jobs on campus.

Please note that the completion of the Form I-9 requires the presentation of unexpired, original document(s) from the list of acceptable I-9 documents. Pick one document from column A OR a combination of one document from column B and column C. Please be advised, we will not accept copies or faxes. Instructions for the I-9 form are available here.

International Students who have secured a job offer must complete their paperwork in the Office of International Taxation in order to legally start work on campus.